Message from the Mayor
On Monday September 21, 2020, Council approved the final draft of our community’s strategic plan: Our Next 20 Years. I would like to thank the many people who took the time to participate in the consultation sessions, interviews and surveys that helped to shape this plan. I invite you to peruse the plan at https://resortmunicipalitypei.com/municipal-government/strategies-plans/
Council looks forward to using this plan to guide our decision making for the next number of years. That being said, we also want to highlight a number of initiatives that have been accomplished over the last number of years, many of which will feed into some of the priorities identified in the plan. For instance:
- Working with Eastlink to install high speed internet in the western and eastern portions of the community making the service available to more than 300 residents and businesses.
- Creating a municipal website and regular email newsletter to keep everyone better informed and to make information more accessible
- Constructing the Graham’s Lane trail.
- Working with Tourism Cavendish Beach, Central Coastal Tourism Partnership, Parks Canada, many residents, and other partners to revitalize Montgomery Park and create the L. M. Montgomery Literary Tour.
- Upgrading the sidewalk in front of the Cavendish cemetery.
- Significantly upgrading route 13 and the trail from Cavendish corner to Marco Polo campground
- Switching bulbs in our streetlights to more efficient LED lighting
- Reducing property taxes
- Significantly upgrading sewer lift stations and providing generators to power those stations when necessary
- Making representations to the province about the new Municipal Government Act and creating/updating bylaws to comply with the new Act.
- Making representations to the province about new building code requirements
- Approving over $23 million in development permits since 2015 including over $6 million in new residential permits.
These are but some examples of what has been done. We have more exciting projects on the way for 2021 and look forward to working with you to make them happen. I thank you again for being engaged in our community.
New projects being worked on in 2020:
- The municipality is working on expanding the trail system on the South Side of Route 6 through the Active Transportation Fund.
- The municipality is also working on replacing and upgrading the existing trail on Cawnpore Lane to join up with the Gulf Shore Highway.
- The municipality is working with the Province to establish a warming centre for the municipality.
- The Cavendish Sewer Utility is also working on upgrades to the municipal sewer system and expansion of generator power for the lift station.